Sunday, October 9

between a thought and hard place

Do you ever have those moments where something that was said to you years prior comes back to haunt you? Not necessarily in a bad way. I suppose "haunt" isn't the best word to use. Usually this happens to me rather often. Most often this happens when I will remember some strange piece of wisdom or unsolicited advice that someone passed on to me when I was in high school.

I was challenged once to control my thoughts to the point where I would know exactly what I was thinking before I fell asleep and be able to dictate what I would think of the instant I woke up.

The rather curious thing about thoughts is that they are incredibly hard to control. Who doesn't let their thoughts wander at night time. That time between setting the alarm clock and falling asleep. That is prime thought-drifting time right there. That's when I like to think about baked goods and bearded men. Oh! And that terrible time when the alarm goes off at 6:15? Let's be honest. The first thing I think when I hear it? "$#!@!" Thats my first thought. FML! night time is over!! Its mind blowing how easy it is to have no control over my thoughts. And it mindblowing how easy it is to not even know.

When I think about how easy it is to not be in thought-control, the more daunting this task becomes. I'm not exactly the type that requires a lot of control. But I've been thinking about this a lot lately. What would happen if I were in complete control of my mind? If every thought I had was centered on something important, like finding and achieving my life's goal! Think of how different humanity would be!

I guess that is what I'm going to be working on for the next few weeks. Learning to control what's going on in my head. Being a master of my thoughts. And I would definitely encourage everybody to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment